Peter B. King practices in the area of commercial and complex litigation, with a focus on disputes involving investments. Peter’s clients include broker/dealers, registered investment advisors and their associated persons, and insurance agents who are defending claims brought by investors in state and federal courts, and FINRA and AAA arbitration, as well as regulatory proceedings brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission, FINRA, Florida’s Office of Financial Regulation, Florida’s Department of Financial Services, Florida’s Attorney General, and other state regulators. Peter’s litigation experience includes disputes involving shareholders and partnerships, non-compete and other types of restrictive covenants, commercial contracts, and promissory notes. His regulatory experience includes investigations, enforcement actions, registration issues, and other disciplinary proceedings. Peter also has experience representing clients in matters before industry organizations such as the Certified Financial Planner Board. He has tried numerous cases to award in arbitration.
Prior to co-founding the firm in November 2009, Peter was a shareholder of one of Florida’s largest and most highly regarded law firms where he played an integral role in the development of a nationally recognized practice in securities and financial services counseling and litigation, including serving as practice group leader. He regularly addresses securities industry groups on matters of compliance and best practices.
Peter is AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers of Florida, and Florida Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite. He serves on the Board of Governors and is a past president of the Florida Securities Dealers Association. He serves on the Board and is a past president of the Federal Bar Association, Tampa Bay Chapter, where he currently serves as chair of the Mentoring Program. Peter received his law degree from West Virginia University where he is a member of the Order of the Coif and Order of Barristers, and his undergraduate degree from University of South Florida.
Peter and his wife, Beth, are the parents of four daughters.
- Lead trial counsel for a registered representative defending a claim for breach of a promissory note against a global financial services firm, in which his client asserted counterclaims for defamation. A FINRA arbitration panel awarded his client over $10 million, including $500,000 in punitive damages, one of the largest punitive damages awards in a FINRA defamation case.
- Lead trial counsel in an SEC administrative proceeding in which the SEC alleged that the investment advisor failed to achieve best execution in the sale of bonds.
- Defense of broker/dealers in connection with alleged Ponzi schemes perpetrated by former registered representatives, handling both the litigation and regulatory issues and significantly reducing the companies’ exposure on both fronts.
- Defense of claims arising from the sale of investments, including private placements, non-traded REITS, tenants-in-common interests, and other non-traditional investments.
- Representation of companies and individuals in investigations and enforcement actions by government and self-regulatory organizations.
- Representation of shareholders in business divorces and other shareholder disputes.
- Defense of insurance agents against claims of negligent and fraudulent sales practices.
- Served as court-appointed receiver in an action by Florida’s Attorney General against companies promoting discounted travel and vacation packages.
- Served as court-appointed Special Litigation Committee to evaluate derivative claims asserted by a shareholder.
- Served as court-appointed Special Master to assist in resolving discovery disputes among litigants.
- Lead pro bono trial counsel for prisoner asserting claims against Department of Corrections and its medical provider for failure to provide adequate medical care.
- Obtained dismissal of securities class action claim alleging violations of federal securities laws in connection with the sale of equity indexed annuities, with ruling that equity indexed annuities are not securities.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of claims for violations of federal and state securities laws by receiver of failed life insurance company against individuals accused of fraud and misrepresentation in sales of collateralized mortgage obligations, after seven years of litigation and with no payment by clients.
- Obtained dismissal of claims in federal court alleging misrepresentation and breach of contract in connection with sale of $10 million life settlement contract.
- Defeated SEC’s motion for temporary injunction against client accused of promoting stock in violation of federal securities laws, paving the way for a favorable settlement for the client.
- Federal Bar Association, Tampa Bay Chapter; Past president (2015); Executive Board (2005-present)
- Florida Securities Dealers Association: Past president (2013), Board of Governors (2004-present)
- Leadership Tampa Bay (2000)
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA): Compliance and Legal Division
- Epilepsy Services Foundation, Past president and board member
- Robinson High School Foundation, Founding Member, Board of Directors (2010 – 2012)
- J.D., West Virginia University College of Law, 1995 (Order of the Coif; Order of Barristers)
- B.S. (Finance), University of South Florida, 1988
- Florida (1995)
- West Virginia (1998)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- Pro Bono Service and Excellence Award (co-recipient), Tampa Bay Chapter, Federal Bar Association (2016)
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® (2004-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2009 – present)
- Florida Legal Elite, Florida Trend Magazine (2006 – present)
- Florida Super Lawyers, Florida Super Lawyers Magazine (2011 – present)
- Tampa Bay’s Top Lawyers by Tampa Bay Magazine
- Tampa’s Top Attorneys 2011 by The National Law Journal