Cameron Stout has been a nationally recognized financial services attorney practicing in California for more than thirty years. Since graduating from Princeton University in 1980, and receiving his J.D. with honors from the University of San Francisco School of Law in 1984, Cameron has represented financial services companies, particularly broker-dealers and banks, in a wide variety of securities, regulatory and employment matters. His securities practice runs the gamut of financial products and matter types, including nationwide product failures involving mutual funds, limited partnerships, REITs, and other securities and commodities customer disputes.
Cameron has defended financial services entities in regulatory investigations and enforcement actions before the SEC and FINRA. These cases have included allegations of churning, unsuitable trading, failures to supervise, mutual fund market timing claims and late trading cases; as well as Ponzi schemes, embezzlement and money laundering. Through Cameron’s representation of commercial banks, he has become well-versed in complex commercial disputes and banking, and UCC issues, including check forgeries, alterations and third-party instruments.
Cameron has also defended and consulted with clients in a broad range of employment cases involving claims of wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation and trade secret misappropriation.
As a certified California mediator, as a volunteer on various California court mediation panels, and through his years as a securities and employment litigator and consultant, Cameron has developed significant expertise in the mediation field. He has represented disputants in over 150 mediations, and tried scores of arbitrations and trials before FINRA, the AAA and in state and federal courts. Consequently, he has developed expertise and a wide range of experience in, and familiarity with, the mediation and arbitration processes and structure, as well as a variety of negotiation strategies and case resolution techniques. In addition to securities and employment cases, Cameron will handle family law, health insurance benefits/coverage matters, and estate and elder abuse proceedings. Cameron is located in Palo Alto, California, he is not admitted to practice in Florida.
Past Experience And Cases
- Co-leader of an expedited arbitration program that resolved hundreds of limited partnership cases over a 4 year period.
- Led a team of 20 lawyers and 10 paralegals that handled, arbitrated and/or resolved through mediation approximately 750 separate nation-wide customer arbitrations against a major brokerage firm in roughly 750 separate claimant arbitrations arising out of two mutual funds.
- Obtained and defended injunctive relief in a number of related cases involving the misappropriation of trade secret and proprietary client information by departing employees (so-called “raiding cases”).
- Defended wrongful termination cases including claims of discrimination, retaliation, and whistle-blowing on behalf of financial services clients as well as a leading database and software company.
- Representation of several different banks in money laundering and embezzlement cases involving, among other allegations, failures to file SARS.
- Successful defense of a large broker-dealer in an estate and elder abuse arbitration involving claims of unauthorized and unsuitable trading, churning, and conspiracy.
- 1976-1980. Princeton University, Bachelor of Arts degree in Twentieth Century American History
- 1981-1984. University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D. with honors
Awards And Distinctions
- Martindale-Hubbell AV preeminent peer rating
- California Super Lawyer 2010-2012
Presentations And Attorney Training
- Well-regarded lecturer in areas of California Mandatory Continuing Legal Education including attorney competence to practice in the state.
- Experienced with internal professional development and attorney/paralegal recruiting, training and mentoring.
Professional Affiliations And Memberships
- Certified mediator through University of California Berkeley
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
- Member, Alameda and Marin Superior Courts and EEOC Mediation
- Member, Who’s Who of Distinguished Princeton Alumni
- Volunteer, Law Foundation of Silicon Valley
- Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce
Bar And Court Admissions
- Member of California State Bar since 1985
- Member USDC Northern and Central District Courts
Community Involvement And Personal
- Cameron volunteers at the Law Foundation of Silicon Valley where he advocates for, and mentors, individuals and their families living with mental health issues. He also coaches and tutors low income children through the East Palo Alto Tennis and Tutoring Program. Cameron has two adult children and lives in Palo Alto, California. He is an accomplished tennis player and cyclist.